CUPA-HR Board Member Travel and Meeting Responsibilities
Please note that all scheduled face-to-face board meetings and events may be switched to virtual due to COVID-related health and safety and travel restrictions.
CUPA-HR pays all travel and meeting costs to attend the three national board meetings and the Association Leadership Program (ALP). There are no board meetings at the national conference or the spring learning events hosted by the regions, so board members are responsible for their own national and spring learning event attendance costs. There are some exceptions for the chair and chair-elect.
Board Meeting Dates
The July board meeting takes place on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to the Association Leadership Program (ALP). For 2022, the ALP will be held in Tempe, AZ and the schedule is as follows:
- New board members and the executive committee (chair, chair-elect, past chair, treasurer, and president and CEO) arrive the afternoon of Monday, July 11 and have dinner together
- New board orientation on the morning of Tuesday, July 12
- Returning national board members arrive during the morning on Tuesday, July 12
- National board meeting the afternoon of Tuesday, July 12 and morning of Wednesday, July 13
- Meet with region boards on the afternoon of Wednesday, July 13
- ALP begins on Thursday morning, July 14, and continues through Friday, July 15
- Return home on Saturday morning, July 16
In addition to the July meeting, the board has a fall meeting and a spring meeting. The fall board meeting is typically held in early December at the property that will host the next annual conference. The spring meeting is typically held during late April at a property that is hosting a CUPA-HR spring event.
With few exceptions, committee work is handled via monthly conference calls and email. Board members typically serve on two to three board committees.
Board Meeting Format
The three scheduled in-person board meetings are typically one-and-a-half days. Other periodic conference calls are held throughout the year. All meetings and calls are scheduled well in advance and are included on the calendar of meetings and events that is posted on the board member website.