CUPA-HR Board Member Travel and Meeting Responsibilities
Please note that all scheduled face-to-face board meetings and events may be switched to virtual due to COVID-related health and safety and travel restrictions.
CUPA-HR pays all travel and meeting costs to attend the three national board meetings and the Association Leadership Program (ALP). There are no board meetings at the national conference or the spring learning events hosted by the regions, so board members are responsible for their own national and spring learning event attendance costs. There are some exceptions for the chair and chair-elect.
Board Meeting Dates
The July board meeting takes place on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to the Association Leadership Program (ALP). For 2021, the ALP will be held in Knoxville, TN and the schedule is as follows:
- New board members and the executive committee (chair, chair-elect, past chair, treasurer, and president and CEO) arrive the afternoon of Tuesday, July 13 and have dinner together
- New board orientation on the morning of Wednesday, July 14
- Returning national board members arrive during the morning on Wednesday, July 14
- National board meeting the afternoon of Wednesday, July 14 and morning of Thursday, July 15
- Meet with region boards on the afternoon of Thursday, July 15
- ALP begins on Friday morning, July 16, and continues through Saturday, July 17
- Return home on Sunday morning, July 18
In addition to the July meeting, the board has a fall meeting and a spring meeting. The fall board meeting is typically held in early December at the property that will host the next annual conference. The spring meeting is typically held during late April at a property that is hosting a CUPA-HR spring event.
With few exceptions, committee work is handled via monthly conference calls and email. Board members typically serve on two to three board committees.
Board Meeting Format
The three scheduled in-person board meetings are typically one-and-a-half days. Other periodic conference calls are held throughout the year. All meetings and calls are scheduled well in advance and are included on the calendar of meetings and events that is posted on the board member website.