Boot Camp – FREE
This course is free of charge to CUPA-HR members ($295 for nonmembers). Course access requires a one-time registration. After registering, use the “Access Course” button to log in. Closed captioning available.
What Is CUPA-HR Boot Camp?
CUPA-HR Boot Camp is a self-paced e-learning course that offers a higher-ed perspective on essential HR topics.
Who Should Take Boot Camp?
It’s ideal for anyone who could benefit from a basic understanding of higher ed HR — young and early-career professionals, HR staff who are new to higher ed and others.
“I really enjoyed CUPA-HR Boot Camp because I am new to higher education and it helped me understand structure, faculty classification and HR’s role in the institution.”
What Will I Learn?
The course offers a convenient way to get the basic knowledge needed to be successful in any HR role in higher education.
When you take the course, you’ll:
- Work through scenarios to become familiar with FLSA job classification in higher education, including classification of support staff and faculty.
- Find out how you can avoid employment and labor law mistakes related to Title IX and other laws.
- Become acquainted with the sources of funding that drive an institution’s budget.
- Explore issues related to crisis management and workplace violence policies on a college campus and learn how the higher ed environment differs from other industries and sectors.
- Learn which discrimination laws can and cannot be applied to expatriate workers, plus other considerations for foreign nationals recruited and employed by colleges and
Boot Camp Content
The 12 modules contain content related to each subject area as well as explanations and examples of their practical application to higher education. View a full list of modules and topics.
Each module also contains a knowledge assessment to ensure participants have achieved a basic understanding of the content. Those who complete the course and obtain a score of 70% or higher on each of the assessments will receive a certificate of completion.
Participants also have access to a glossary of terms specific to higher education as well as employment law and labor relations terms.
CUPA-HR Boot Camp was developed in conjunction with the association’s learning framework, which guides all CUPA-HR education and programming.