Founded in 1946, the College & University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) serves more than 18,000 HR professionals and other higher ed leaders at over 1,900 member organizations. Committed to promoting the effective management and development of human resources in higher education, CUPA-HR offers many professional development opportunities.
Visit our About Us page to learn more about CUPA-HR.
Our member benefits include:
- access to best practices, compliance information, member listservs and other vital resources in the online CUPA-HR Knowledge Center;
- networking opportunities in the CUPA-HR Connect;
- discounts on training seminars, conferences, HR books and videos;
- complimentary salary survey and discounts on other surveys;
- up-to-the-minute information on public policy and government affairs; and
- a subscription to The Higher Education Workplace.
Visit our Benefits of Membership page to learn more about valuable membership benefits.
CUPA-HR offers a variety of memberships to serve human resource professionals working in higher education, as well as others interested in the advancement and promotion of the higher education human resource profession. Membership in CUPA-HR is largely institutional-based, meaning that membership benefits belong to a particular college or university, not an individual. Institutional Members make up about 90 percent of CUPA-HR’s total membership. Affiliate organization, international institution, corporate, retiree, transitional, and student memberships are also available.
Visit our How It Works page for more information on types of CUPA-HR memberships.
The membership year is July 1 through June 30.
Within one business day of submitting the membership application, CUPA-HR will send you an e-mail including an invoice for membership and payment instructions. Update the membership roster to provide a list of others who should receive membership access once the membership dues payment is received.
For new members:
- Within one business day the membership contact and all others on the membership roster will receive an e-mail including a personal username and password to access the website, as well as instructions on how to start using their membership benefits right away.
- Within 7-10 business days the membership contact will receive a new member packet. The packet contains a welcome letter from our president and chief executive officer; the latest issue of The Higher Education Workplace; and information on various upcoming association events.
For renewing members:
- Membership will continue for all member representatives through June 30 of the following year. Membership contacts should take a moment to update their membership roster.
A key representative is the main contact for the CUPA-HR membership responsibilities for institutional, affiliate organization and corporate members. Responsibilities include:
- Receiving and coordinating payment of the institution’s annual dues invoice statement.
- Reviewing the membership roster and requesting any necessary changes.
If you would like to discuss who manages the membership responsibilities for your institution or organization, contact CUPA-HR toll free at 877-287-2474 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each individual at an institution or organization has their own personal username and password. Those listed as a member representative at a member institution or organization can use their personal username and password to access the Knowledge Center and other members-only areas of the website.
- If you already have an account, follow the online prompts on any sign in page to request your username and/or password.
- New members should receive a username and password via e-mail shortly after the dues payment is processed.
- Existing members update their membership roster online.
- If you do not receive a username and password or need assistance, contact email@example.com or call toll free 877-287-2474.
We know this is confusing! The different credentials allow access to different functions on our website. Please use the following descriptions to help determine which set to use:
- Personal Credentials allow CUPA-HR members to access their personal profile pages, the Community, the Knowledge Center and member directory. Customers also use personal credentials to make purchases in the CUPA-HR online bookstore, order survey results and register for CUPA-HR events online.
- Survey Credentials allow survey participants to log into Surveys Onine and complete participation forms. Customers with access to survey results also use survey credentials to view or download survey reports. Please note: because survey results are ordered through the CUPA-HR website, use your personal credentials to place a survey order!
- Dues Credentials allow members or potential members to pay organizational dues. Typically the membership contact is the only person with access to dues credentials.
The four CUPA-HR regions are named: Eastern, Midwest, Western and Southern. Each of CUPA-HR’s four regions has a board of directors. Visit our Chapters and Regions page to find listing of region leaders. In addition, each region hosts its own website providing information about its career development programs and general region information.
Affiliated CUPA-HR chapters provide various educational programs on the state or local level to encourage members to engage in networking and career development opportunities. Meeting schedules vary with each chapter. Membership at the national and regional levels of CUPA-HR is separate from a chapter membership. Each chapter charges its own membership fee.
Visit our Regions and Chapters page to locate the chapter nearest to you and find a listing of chapter leaders.