Building a Successful, More Inclusive Search (Individual)
It is essential that campus leaders, particularly campus HR professionals, have the knowledge and skills to cultivate diverse applicant pools for faculty and staff positions, and to create an inclusive search process.
Now available in individual and group-learning formats, this new course will provide you with tools and resources to take a more inclusive approach to the search process to help achieve your institution’s diversity and inclusion goals.
By taking this course, you’ll learn how to:
- Broaden your outreach and recruitment efforts;
- Disrupt the status quo of search committees on campus;
- Overcome barriers and biases in the search process; and
- Enrich the candidate pool for faculty and staff positions.
After completing the course, you’ll be able to more effectively facilitate an inclusive search committee process on your campus.
The course was conceived by CUPA-HR’s national board of directors and the diversity, equity and inclusion committee, and features content developed by Emeritus Group Consultants. Course content is consistent with the association’s learning framework of higher ed HR competencies, which guides all CUPA-HR education and programming.
Each year, colleges and universities continue to change to more closely reflect the demographics of our communities and the nation. Research and literature tell us that student success and research innovation is intrinsically tied to the different perspectives that diverse and inclusive environments cultivate. Keep in mind that you are among the institutional leaders who sit at a crossroads to influence the talent that your college or university employs and develops. Who is better situated than you to inspire talent recruitment and management strategies that utilize diversity, equity and inclusion objectives to strengthen your institution?— Andy Brantley, President and CEO, CUPA-HR
- Module 1, Developing the Candidate Pool: During this module, you’ll get a general overview of the hiring process and identify where you can add value to existing hiring practices that are intended to increase faculty and staff diversity. You’ll also discover pre-search tactics – developing inclusive job descriptions, marketing the department and institution, identifying language and posting venues – that can broaden your institution’s recruitment and outreach efforts and increase the diversity of your candidate pools.
- Module 2, Enhancing Search Committee Effectiveness: Here you’ll learn about search procedures, practices and policies that will enhance your ability
(and those of search committee members) to approach the inclusive search process with an open mind. Through video examples, you’ll see ways that you can establish a collaborative leadership role with the department and senior leaders to help create and implement processes that will help your institution reach its goals of academic excellence and diversity.
- Module 3, Identifying and Selecting Candidates: As you work through the third module, you’ll learn how to lay the foundation for the candidate selection process. Through video examples, you’ll examine criteria used (or not used) to establish candidate selection; begin to understand the dynamic of restrictive candidate selection and the barriers to inclusion; and learn ways you can introduce and gain consensus for evaluation tools to assess potential candidates. You’ll also learn to communicate rationale for institutional objectives that aim to establish a diverse campus community.
- Module 4, Extending the Offer and Welcoming New Employees: During the final module, you’ll explore post-search activities that can help you ensure the retention of new hires. Learn how to ensure that equitable compensation packages are offered to selected candidates, maintain ongoing relationships for future searches with candidates who are not selected from the pool, establish relationships with those in charge of training and onboarding on your campus, and provide useful information to candidates and hires about the community.
Sample Course Material
Throughout the course, you’ll see multiple videos that are used to illustrate experiences that we’ve found to be common among search committees in higher education. You’ll see the “old-school” way of handling situations as well as “new-school” approaches to increasing inclusion in the search process. See a sample video below:
You’ll also have access to a variety of handouts, including the Course Guide and a list of additional resources that will help you maximize the course material. Take a look inside the Course Guide below:
$195 for CUPA-HR Members | $295 for Nonmembers